Saturday, March 22, 2008

Peru and a 38 hr. bus ride

Machu Picchu. The Incan citadel in the Andes. My destination...Thursday.

But I shouldn´t get ahead of myself. Let me take a step back.

I´m in Perú. I left last Monday from Quito on a night bus to Guayaquil with a long-time friend of mine from home, Caroline Chalmers. Recently, she decided to travel through South America, and invited me along. Luckily, she´s a chill cookie. Our night bus to Guayaquil took 10 hours. And two hours after arriving, we boarded a 28 hour bus to Lima Peru. Surprisingly, the ride wasn´t too horrendous. I read "Into the Wild", slept 11 hours, watched the scenery, chatted with some tree-huggers, and ya, llegamos. We´ll see if I´m still singing to the same tune after repeating this trip in one week to get back to Quito in time for classes on the 31st of March.

We spent two nights in Lima, and loved it. I was surprised how clean the city was. The sidewalks didn´t have any holes, the buses didn´t billow out huge black clouds as they drove by, the the buildings weren´t falling apart. I was impressed. Also, we found a grocery store that screamed New Seasons (or Whole Foods for you non-Portland folk). I was in heaven. Quito has nothing of the sort.

Now I´m in Cusco. Tomorrow morning we are leaving on an alternative trek to Machu Picchu. We are taking the Salcantay Trail (o algo asi) at 4:30 am. Yikes! But I´m thrilled. I´m so excited to get out on the trail. 5 days, 4 nights. A 4600 meter (15,200 ft.) pass. Beautiful mountains. Hot springs. Machu Picchu. It should be awesome. We are agoing with an agency called Amadcus. It was pretty random how we chose it. Basically, we were walking down the street, walked in, they were leaving when we wanted to leave, the price was right, and they seemed legit. So...listo y Ojalá. Cuzco is pretty cool as well, but incredibly touristy. I haven´t enjoyed it as much as Lima or Quito. I just don´t do the crazy tourist scene well any more.

That´s it on the news. Next time I´ll have photos. Stay tuned. Chao.

No comments: